11.21.2010

Eating At Night Make You Fat

Like many questions I often pose here, there are a number of ways to answer this question. My first answer is this: It made me fat. Let's go into the why. When I was making incisions and drilling, shaving and pounding for a living, I had to work until the job was finished. There were no union rules that said that at 4 PM you were finished and you headed home. No...when you have a live person on the table, there are no second bites at the apple. You finish the job, no matter how long it takes.

This meant that, although I had a schedule, it didn't mean I was going to be finished when that time came. I often worked late and that didn't count being called in for emergencies. Sometimes, I was no sooner in the front door than I was heading back out again. I ate when I could and I ate what was available, which in those days was mostly junk.Then, when I finally did finish, I had to unwind. I usually did this over a pizza, often putting a large one away, by myself. If it wasn't pizza, it might have been a couple of takeout Chinese dishes,
which aren't exactly on the low end of the fat scale, either. What I was doing was eating a large amount of heavy carbohydrate-laden food just before bedtime. It was more than probability that I was going to store that food as fat...it was reality.

Now...on the other hand, eating at night does not make you fat, IF:Your diet is completely balanced and you are in a caloric deficit and need to eat to get the right amount of calories. This would pertain to people who are very active and by that, I mean those who are working out regularly. Eating for this type is often necessary, but they wouldn't be eating a box of freshly made donuts and washing it down with whole milk, which was a hospital staple. As a general rule, if you can swing it, you shouldn't really be eating after say...7 PM. And if you're eating after that hour, make sure you're getting good, fresh, healthy food. One successful rule of a great many weight loss programs is the simple:

NO FOOD AFTER DINNER!!!

Here are a few reasons why this works:You are less active at night and you are burning fewer calories.Your metabolism is slowest while you're sleeping.You release more insulin at night, compared to morning.Your glycogen stores are fuller after a day of eating, so you aremore likely to store excess carbohydrate as fat, instead of storing it as muscle glycogen. So, if you don't eat after a certain time daily...you can probablycount on accelerating blubber loss.It has worked for me and many others. If you take my Powerhouse Omega Formula and stop eating after 7PM,you'll really ratchet up the blubber loss.I'll be back tomorrow with more.

With my best wishes for your optimum health,
Dr. Bill








No comments: